Ebony Jewelwing 4/29/2017

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Let's get Started!

I have been taking pictures of Butterflies and Dragonflies while out birding this year, and thought I would share them... Obviously, there is going to be a limit on how many I see and when they are around, so THIS blog should not have as many posts. For a look at my Birding blog, see the link -------> there...

So, without further ado...


American Painted Lady...






Black Swallowtail






 Common Buckeye...














Palamedes Swallowtails...


Bunches of them!


This one just landed right by my feet! Wow!



This one is called a Duskywing Butterfly...


Considering I only just started observing them, I was pretty lucky to find this one! Not as common.


Everyone sees these... Eastern Tiger Swallowtail. I just could not ever get a really great shot of one!





This one is called a Great Spangled Frittilary butterfly... that is quite a name, but it sure is pretty!




Here is a Monarch butterfly...




I really didn't know there were so many varieties of butterflies until I begin birding!



This is called an Orange Sulphur butterfly.



 

And this one is a Pearl Crescent butterfly. I learned to distinguish this one by the white stripe along the edges of the wings...





I asked for assistance in this ID, but have received no response. However, I think it is a Sachem Skipper butterfly...


This is a Silver Spotted Skipper...


And NOW, the Dragonflies:


This was the first one I photographed. It is called an Eastern Pondhawk...


There are LOADS of them all around here!


This is called a Blue Dasher...


In my research, I now know they have three pairs of legs... did YOU know that? Sometimes they do not stand on all six tho, and it appears they have only four total... Tricky!!



But it is six... see?

 




This posture is what they do to cool themselves down... cuts down on the exposure to the sun. Didn't know that... but pretty cool to watch!


  This is a juvenile male Great Blue Skimmer...






And this is an Eastern Golden-winged Skimmer...






See the bit of gold across the top of the wings?




This is a Halloween Pennant...






 From a distance, they are quite orange-y in color... and their coloring is bright and distinct...



And THIS is a Painted Skimmer... There ARE differences between them and the Pennants...


The one that convinced me is that the stripes do not go completely across the width of the wing, and they are not as bright or distinct as the Halloween Pennant dragonfly.



This was a rather quick fly-by, but it is a Black Saddlebags Dragonfly. The 'Saddlebag' dragonflies are really quick so I have not been able to get a close shot. But... they have a dark coloring in their REAR wing, close to their body...that looks like a saddlebag! I have seen them in red also, but no pics.


Okay--that's all I've got!

Thanks for visiting!

Hugs,

Maggee




1 comment: